Trade Strategy and Optimisation Strategic customs consulting services that help reduce costs and improve trade performance.
What you gain
INCREASED OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCY
Harness the power of automation while strengthening control to ensure process efficiency and reduced cost
OPTIMISED DUTIES PAID
Take better advantage of available free trade agreements and strengthen control over the duties paid
A STRONGER SUPPLY CHAIN
Increased transparency, new monitoring abilities; and centralisation contribute to a more agile, resilient customs process and supply chain
BETTER RISK MANAGEMENT
Work proactively and integrate customs compliance in the overall framework to mitigate the risks of being non-compliant
With KGH employees who are permanently assigned to OSRAM, we have found reliable and committed partners with whom daily collaboration is fun and easy communication is assured.
Head of Customs,
About the discipline
There can be significant gains when you navigate the international trading environment by including customs in your strategic work, for example, as part of strategic sourcing, in connection with changes in the supply chain, or before establishment in a new market. Key elements include cost reduction and duty optimisation, organisation and centralisation, automation and digitization, process control and supply chain resilience, and risk and compliance management. Get in touch with us today to explore how you can benefit
Opportunities with Trade Strategy and Optimisation
A need to take better control of customs handling and total cost of customs.
Evaluate, implement and maintain trade facilitation programms such as Authorised Economic Operator.
Assess the possibilities for increased automation and new digital solutions, supporting the digital transformation journey.
Utilisation of free trade agreements and special procedures to optimise duties paid.
Better consider customs when developing the supply chain or sourcing strategy.
Ensure efficient, compliant handling in connection with significant changes in customs regulation or altered trading conditions.
What we can do for you
Our trade strategy and optimisation services will advance your customs management by helping you make the right customs decisions at the right time. Know which areas to focus on and the changes you need to implement to get a competitive advantage. Contact us to learn more about how you can reduce costs and increase supply chain resilience while contributing to improved risk management.
STRATEGIC GLOBAL TRADE ANALYSIS AND ADVISORY
- Optimise customs processes.
- Stronger supply chain resilience.
- Improved strategic sourcing.
- Ensuring duty and cost control.
- Companies that want to go from local or regional to global strengthened customs governance.
- Companies wanting to centralise the customs function.
- Companies wanting to challenge their strategic sourcing.
- Companies making changes and developing in their supply chain or trade patterns.
- Strategic advice and customs strategy reports for senior management and at the board level.
- Support in strategic or operational supply chain development.
- Advice on customs control tower solutions and centralised organisations or functions.
- An in-depth analysis of regulations and restrictions that impact your trade.
- Development of global governance and transparency to have a centralised, standardised customs function.
TRADE AND CUSTOMS OPTIMISATION
- Optimize customs processes.
- Stronger supply chain resilience.
- Duty optimisation and cost-efficiency.
- Multinational companies that want to improve control and increase integration of customs in the supply chain.
- Companies making changes to or developing their supply chain or trade patterns.
- Companies wanting to streamline customs processes, harmonise work; and reduce the number of external partners.
- Companies wanting to go from manual to automated and digitized customs processes.
- Development and implementation of customs streamlining and automation projects – from the current situation to optimization of the implemented project.
- Trade flow mapping to understand and develop your processes and procedures.
- Support with trade flow transformation and act on findings.
- Ensure customs is an integrated part of the overall supply chain strategy.
- Support with business analysis to evaluate the customs warehouse benefits and pitfalls.
DUTY AND COST SAVING PROGRAMS
- Reduce costs.
- Optimised duties paid.
- Companies experiencing increased customs costs.
- Companies running a cost-saving programme or project.
- Companies establishing new trade flows.
- Companies reviewing their sourcing strategy and considering trading with other countries.
- Assessments to reveal and discover the untapped potentials of free trade agreements, classification, and valuation.
- Hands-on action plan and implementation of it.
COMPLIANCE ASSESSMENTS AND RECOVERY PROGRAMMES
- Avoid fines and penalties.
- Strengthen and ensure compliance.
- Avoid disruption in the flow of goods.
- Companies needing to manage compliance issues.
- Companies needing to recover from a significant incident with customs authorities.
- Companies detecting compliance issues via internal audits or assessments.
- Companies obliged to take action from a customs authority audit.
- Compliance and risk assessments to close compliance gaps and mitigate business risks.
- Recovery plans and implementation of required actions after completion of the assessment.
AUTHORISED ECONOMIC OPERATOR (AEO) SERVICES
- Increased customs process efficiency.
- Strengthened compliance.
- Increased predictability and agility in the flow of goods.
- Strengthened trust as trading partner.
- Companies needing to implement the AEO concept, including training and competence building.
- Companies with AEO licences that want to maintain and strengthen their AEO status.
- Companies needing to show their customers they comply with AEO requirements.
- Companies in need of an interim customs competence holder within AEO.
- Expertise from the global expertise in AEO services for both the private and government sector.
- GAP analysis, implementation plan, and application support to become an AEO.
- Continuous monitoring and annual audits to ensure that you continue to meet the requirements for obtaining AEO authorisation.
- Develop and implement actions to manage any deviations detected in the audit or ongoing monitoring.
- Digital solutions that facilitate the ongoing work required to maintain the authorisation.
- Avoid double taxation.
- Improved cashflow – reduce capital tied-up.
- Store goods under certain trade restrictions.
- Flexible delivery and sales to end market.
- Companies with an EU distribution centre, that import goods from non-EU countries and then sell to non-EU countries.
- Companies with high customs duties.
- Support in setting up and understanding a customs warehouse business case.
- Implementation of new processes and routines; establish the organisation in place, and train and coach your staff until self-driven and independent.
- Support with the application, basic requirements, and contact with customs authorities.
SELF-SERVICE – READY TO USE TEMPLATES AND GUIDES
- Strengthen compliance and mitigate risk.
- Increase operational efficiency.
- Reduce costs.
- Companies wanting to strengthen ownership and advance their customs management on their own.
- Companies taking ownership of their customs data and information.
- Companies wanting to strengthen process control, including stakeholder management.
- Ready to use templates and guides for organizational setup based on KGH best practice*
- Ready to use templates and guides for customs processes and policies based on KGH best practice*
- Ready to use templates and guides for internal and external stakeholder governance, e.g. Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) based on KGH best practice*
* Implementation support from a KGH expert always included
What are the most common problems with customs clearance?
A typical problem with customs clearance might be that a shipment gets stuck in customs for days or weeks, because the duties cost more than expected or your documents are incorrect or incomplete. If you use a customs broker or have the right competence yourself, you can easily avoid problems and risks with correct documentation and classification.
How can I reduce my duty costs?
Using the correct classification, having a relevant HS code and tariffs, and following the country of origin legislation to calculate your duties correctly might reduce your customs costs. It may also be worth investing in hiring an experienced customs consultant to help you reduce your customs costs.
How do I calculate my customs duties?
How much you pay in customs duty, VAT, and any other taxes and charges depends on the value and type of your goods. The duty depends on the product type, cost and the country of origin and is calculated on the total cost including: purchase price, insurances and shipping cost. VAT must be paid on goods purchased outside the EU, regardless of the goods’ value.
How does a free trade agreement work?
A free trade agreement (FTA) is an agreement between two or more countries to facilitate trade by reducing or eliminating tariffs. This means countries can import and export goods without tariff barriers, improving the flow of goods and services. It also means you can improve your margins and reduce customer prices. A customs consultant can help you with an FTA strategy, allowing you to benefit and save costs when sourcing and importing.
Customs is a multi-faceted area. We unite 50 years of experience with specialist knowledge in all relevant areas.
A comprehensive service portfolio
In addition to a vast range of consulting services, we also provide digital solutions and customs clearance services globally.
A global network of expertise
We can support you globally as part of Maersk Customs Services, combining one interface and local know-how.
We are shaping future legislation
KGH is a member of several forums where new legislation is created, giving us unique insight that can benefit our customers.
Supporting both the public and private sector
Working with international corporations and government worldwide broadens our perspective and our ability to help.